Everything You Need To Know About Form SS-5

Applying for government forms and cards can seem daunting, but here at USIMPR we’re the experts in making the process as straightforward and painless as possible. In this article we answer everything you need to know about form SS-5, which is a form connected with applying for US Social Security numbers.

What Is An SS-5 Form?


An SS-5 form (also known as form SS-5) is an Application for a Social Security Card form supplied by the Social Security Administration (SSA) that you fill in to:


  • apply for a new Social Security number
  • apply for a replacement card if you’ve lost or damaged it
  • change or update information on your Social Security number record


Alternatively, you can also register a ‘my Social Security’ account to request a replacement Social Security card, check the status of an application, estimate future benefits, or manage the benefits you already receive, all online. However if you cannot apply for a card online, then you’ll need to use form SS-5.

Who Should Fill In an SS-5 Form?


Anyone who needs a new Social Security number, a replacement card or has to update information will need to fill in an SS-5 form. You will need a Social Security number and card if:


  • you’ve misplaced or damaged your old card
  • your Social Security card has an error, like an incorrectly spelled name
  • you have changed from a legal resident to a US citizen
  • you’ve changed your name, for example following a marriage or divorce
  • you’ve recently given birth to a child, but didn’t apply for a social security card for them at the hospital
  • you’ve adopted a child and need a card for them


How Much Does A Form SS-5 Cost?


Form SS-5 is free and available from the Social Security Administration website, therefore applying for a Social Security card, replacement, or amendment using Form SS-5 is free.

Where Can I Get An SS-5 Form?

The form is available on the Social Security Administration website. You’ll need to print out and fill the SS-5 form in before mailing it to your local Social Security office along with any relevant documentation.

How To Fill Out Your SS5 Form

Make sure you fill the form in using blue or black ink.


If you’re applying for an original card (not a replacement) you need to provide 2 documents that prove:


  • Age
  • Identity
  • US citizenship status OR
  • Work-authorized immigration status


When providing evidence of age, you’ll typically need a birth certificate. If you do not have this, other documents can be accepted, for example:


  • Passport
  • Religious record showing your date of birth (created before you were 5 years of age)
  • Final adoption decree


If you’re applying for a replacement card, you need to provide 1 document to prove your identity:


  • US driver’s license
  • US State-issued non-driver ID card
  • US Passport


If you are unable to provide any of these, the following that show name and other information may be accepted:


  • US military ID card
  • Employee ID
  • Copy of medical record from a doctor, clinic or hospital
  • Health insurance card
  • Medicaid card
  • School identity card


(Birth certificates and Social Security card stubs are not accepted as evidence of identity.)


Filling in the SS-5 form is fairly self-explanatory, and there are guidance notes for assistance as you go through the process.


Once you’ve filled in form SS-5, make sure you either post the original to your local Social Security office with the relevant documents – they will not accept duplicates or photocopies, or take the form SS-5 and documents in person. The advantage of physically going into the office is that you will be able to keep your documents (passport, birth certificate etc). If posting them you may not have them back for several weeks.

What Happens Once You’ve Submitted Your SS-5 Form?

Once you’ve submitted your SS-5 form with your supporting documents, you should receive your Social Security card in approximately 10 business days.


Hopefully that answers all your questions around what form SS-5 is, how it works, and how you fill it in. If you have any questions that you feel we’ve not answered, or need any assistance from an immigration point of view, please do get in touch.


At USIMPR we can offer you the very best when it comes to immigration programs and work with licensed and expert immigration professionals who have handled numerous cases.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *